How can I download UPI App (Unified payment Interface) launched by RBI and National Payment Corporation of India?
UPI applications will be rolled out by individual Banks/Wallets and not by RBI or NPCI.
Prashant Chaudhary, I work at Citrus Pay
Written Aug 29
UPI is a new solution by NPCI to simplify the process of online transactions in India.
Let’s understand how it affect the following:
- Merchants (online sellers)
- Payment solution providers like CitrusPay
Consumers: In its current state, it will make P2P transfers super easy.You can transfer money Instantly without any charges to a upper limit of 1 lac.Remember the days when adding beneficiary for account transfers was a huge task? You had to ask for Bank A/c number, IFSC code etc from the person on the other end. Or you ever got worried about sharing the above details with someone? UPI is your savior now as you just need to share your Virtual Payment Address. You can Send as well as Collect Money from some one by using the VPA. Here are some easy steps you need to follow:
- Download UPI app from participating banks here.
- Let’s use AXIS bank’s UPI App as it has better UI compared to others. Here’s the welcome screen. SMS will be sent for authentication.
- Add bank account; you’ll just need to select the your Bank & your A/c will show up automatically (based on your mobile number linked with your bank a/c)
- Create a Virtual Payment Address (VPA) which can be prashant@pnb or 123@ubi or pkc@icici or any other name. The suffix will be based on the app you are using. You can create have different VPA with different banks pointing to the same account i.e prashant@axis, prashant@ubi or prashant@vijaya can point to one bank a/c say from PNB.
- You can now even Collect money by requesting to the other person’s VPA
Merchants: This will be available in future based on how quickly merchants adopt UPI. They can integrate UPI in their mobile app SDKs giving additional option of UPI as a payment method along with CC/DC/NB
PSP like CitrusPay: They will work with banks for enabling UPI as a payment method & to provide a better payment experience on top of the UPI infrastructure. Gradually, as UPI matures, instead of having to build 57 bank relationships, that a payment gateway has to build right now, they’ll just need one relationship with the UPI. In this way, it’ll ease their efforts and help out our merchants as well.
PS: The list of banks providing the app on Google Play Store are:
1. Andhra Bank2. Axis Bank3. Bank of Maharashtra4. Bhartiya Mahila Bank5. Canara Bank6. Catholic Syrian Bank7. DCB Bank8. Federal Bank9. ICICI Bank10. TJSB Sahakari Bank11. Oriental Bank of Commerce12. Karnataka Bank13. UCO Bank14. Union Bank of India15. United Bank of India16. Punjab National Bank17. South Indian Bank18. Vijaya Bank 19. YES Bank.